The UnChef Presents….
Perfect French Fries!
Click on the link for a step-by-step instructional (and very informative!) video:
4 Strips of Bacon
Tony Chachere’s Original Creole Seasoning
1 Russet Potato (sweet potatoes work too!)
White and Brown Sugar
1. Begin by frying the strips of bacon in a pan. Once most of the fat has cooked out, remove the bacon strips from your pan and pour the fat into a bowl. Mix in Sunflower Oil, Olive Oil, and Seasonings (be liberal with them!) until you have enough to cover the pan evenly with about ¾ in. of oil (if you wanted to put more oil, that’s fine too…but I like to keep my recipes economically friendly).
2. Scrub your potato thoroughly and make thin, even slices until the whole potato is cut into French Fry shapes.
3. Soak the potatoes in a cold water/white sugar solution for 15 minutes.
4. Pre-heat your oil to about 325 degrees and dry off the potatoes. Drop in enough potato strips to cover the bottom of the pan but don’t put too many. French Fries don’t like to be overcrowded!
5. Sprinkle a little brown sugar over the fries and let them cook for two minutes.
6. Remove the fries, let them sit for 10 minutes (a perfect time to cook your second batch), raise your heat to about 375 degrees and put the fries back into the pan.
7. Let the fries cook until golden/dark brown (more or less color depending on your tastes) and remove. After drying excess oils, your fries are ready to eat as soon as they are cool enough!
8. Enjoy or your efforts were pointless.